Are you planning on heading to a mall at 3 a.m. this Black Friday? Or will you be one of many spending the day hanging decorations? Before you start trimming the tree, consider looking into home maintenance this Thanksgiving weekend.
Enlist the help of a professional handyman or cleaning service. They can make sure your home’s maintenance is in order before the family comes to visit this December. Here are five easy upgrades you should make before the holidays:
Furniture and Beds
Has that pull-out sofa seen better days? Before you have a gaggle of guests, consider upgrading to a new model. Then, you can spend the month of December working hard to break it in — while watching Netflix, of course.
Another smart upgrade to consider is platform beds. This can give bedrooms a more stylish, contemporary aesthetic while instantly offering more storage. Stash guests’ belongings, keep gifts hidden or store unkempt items out of sight.
If your insulation is outdated, lumpy, and full of moisture, it’s probably time for an upgrade. Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) professionals can come to take a look. Thankfully, today’s options are also much healthier, with offerings like cotton insulation made from recycled denim.
If new insulation is out of your budget, it’s still wise to ensure your home is airtight. Check for leaky windows, doors, and cracks. You can add weather stripping for low-cost, temporary fixes until spring.
Today’s appliances are leaps and bounds beyond their predecessors when it comes to energy efficiency by going green. So if you haven’t replaced your appliances in at least five or 10 years, chances are you’re burning through a lot of extra cash.
While it’s hard to think about ditching a working appliance, it is smart to look now before the issue is dire, and you can save on energy costs in the meantime.
To start, look for ENERGY STAR–rated appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, air conditioners, and furnaces.
Is Thanksgiving cranberry sauce on the carpet? If your grandmother’s trusty stain removal remedy isn’t working, it might be time to enlist the help of a carpet repair professional.
The average cost of a carpet repair is $220, and you can put off installing a whole new carpet for a few more years.
If you’re going to be cooking in the kitchen, entertaining guests, and enjoying family time, let someone else worry about the dirty dishes.
Get in touch with a house cleaning service now that can recover your kitchen and living area after a big holiday gathering for about $200.
Home Improvements Upgrades
Here are some home improvement upgrades that can help give your home a professional, festive look for the holidays:
- Update your lighting: Adding string lights or changing out your light fixtures can help create a festive atmosphere.
- Add holiday decorations: Hang holiday wreaths, garlands, and ornaments to add a festive touch to your home.
- Update your front door: Painting your front door or adding a new doormat can give your home’s exterior a fresh, updated look.
- Landscaping: Add some holiday cheer to your front yard by planting seasonal flowers or adding holiday-themed outdoor decorations.
- Clean and declutter: Take the time to thoroughly clean your home and declutter to give it a professional, well-maintained look.
- Repaint or touch up: Consider giving your walls a fresh coat of paint or touching up any scuff marks or imperfections to give your home a polished look.
- Add new accessories: Changing out your throw pillows, rugs, or window treatments can give your home a new look without breaking the bank.
- Update your furniture: If you have the budget, consider investing in new furniture or reupholstering your existing pieces to give your home a fresh, updated look.
By implementing these home improvement upgrades, you can give your home a professional, festive look that is sure to impress your guests during the holiday season.